SALTA, HUMAHUACA GORGE & TOLAR GRANDE – 6 DAYS 5 NIGHTSfrom
Salta & Jujuy, the soul of the Argentian Northwest
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday TypeAdventure, Bird Watching, Boutique, Budget, Charming, Classic, Ecofriendly, Face to Face, Family-friendly, GROUP DEPARTURES, Hiking, Historical, Local Food, Local People, Luxury, Mid-range, Mountain, National Park, Photograph, Quiet, Rural, Salt Flat, Trekking, Trendy, Walking Tour, Wild Life
- Activity Level Leisurely
- Group Size Medium Group
Travel to the northernmost point of the country: Salta and Jujuy. Let yourself be amazed by all the colors of the mountains, the cactus and the salt flats.
POSSIBLE EXTENSIONS: Extra day in Tolar Grande to visit La Casaualidad mine| Extra nights to visit the Calchaquí valleys
Operative: from September to May.
- All services, excursions and transfers detailed on the programme
- Meals mentioned (B: breakfast, BXL: box lunch, L: lunch, D: dinner)
- 24hs assistance through our mobile phone
- Transfers in 4×4 vehicle with bilingual Spanish/English guide and first aid kit during the trip from day 2 to day 5
- 2 nights’ accommodation in Salta with breakfast as its described in the itinerary in the mentioned hotels or in similar, according to availability at the moment of the booking request
- 1-night accommodation in Purmamarca with breakfast as its described in the itinerary in the mentioned hotels or in similar, according to availability at the moment of the booking request
- 2 nights’ accommodation in Tolar Grande with breakfast as its described in the itinerary in the mentioned hotels or in similar, according to availability at the moment of the booking request
- International flights
- Early check in/Late check out at hotels
- Meals and services not mentioned
- Optional and suggested services
- Personal expenses and tips
- DAY 1 SALTA
Morning arrival in Salta city and welcome at the airport to take a transfer to the hotel.
Afternoon visit its picturesque city, including the interesting High Mountain museum, ascending to San Bernardo hill with charming views and San Lorenzo nearby village.
Overnight in Salta.
- DAY 2 SALTA – HUMAHUACA GORGE - PURMAMARCA
Morning early departure from the colonial Salta city to the Humahuaca Gorge.
The tour includes different villages ike Volcán, Tumbaya and Maimara with its “painter’s palette” of colors. In Tilcara we visit an archaeological museum and the “Pucara” (amazing indigenous ruins). We then continue the trip, pass Huacalera and Uquía, and finally arrive to Humahuaca and ancient picturesque village. Walk around the place and free time for lunch. Then, enter to Purmamarca, a famous village for its well known “Seven Colors Hill”, you will have time to visit the handcraft market and to walk around the village once the tour finishes. Enjoy an unforgettable night wondering along its charming streets.
Overnight in Purmamarca. (B)
- DAY 3 PURMAMARCA – SALINAS GRANDES – SAN ANTONIO DE LOS COBRES – TOLAR GRANDE
Climb the Lipan slope until you reach the impressive Salinas Grandes, one of the most visited destinations in the Puna de Jujuy region, an incredible place where the white landscape merges with the intense blue sky, there you can observe the process of extracting table salt. Then continue to San Antonio de los Cobres, a typical pune village. Finally the road goes through the so called Labyrinth Desert, a clay, pink dust and gypsum crystals formation. Later almost arriving to Tolar Grande, will appear in front of us the Salar of Arizaro´s inmensity, and inmediatly one of the most amazing views of the Andean range, with Llullaillaco and Socompa volcanoes highlighting. Box lunch on the road arriving to Tolar Grande. Dinner and breakfast are prepared and served at a family house. Offering an excellent service, you can also experience the inhabitants daily routine.
Maximum altitude on road: 4.600 m.a.s.l.
Tolar Grande: 3650 m.a.s.l.
Overnight in Tolar Grande. (B, BXL, D)
- DAY 4 FULL DAY TOLAR GRANDE
Visit a Dead Man’s Cave, Arizaro Salt Flat, Arita Cone, Dunes and Ojo de Mar. During the day we will visit the caves with various figures in the stalactites and stalagmites, the Dune of considerable size and beauty, and the Arizaro Salt Flat, impressive for its magnitude, is one of the world’s largest salt flats. Within the salt flat is the Arita Cone a mountain with a perfect cone shape. In the afternoon visit to the ‘Ojo de Mar’, strange deep pools made by the action of water that descend from the Macon mountain.
Overnight in Tolar Grande. (B, BXL, D)
- DAY 5 TOLAR GRANDE - SANTA ROSA DE LOS PASTOS GRANDES - SALTA
Early in the morning we will take the spectacular mountain road where we will see the different hills and snowy mountains, highlighting the Quewa mountain, which exceeds 19685 ft. (near the summit it was found an Inca mummy). We will also cross some typical villages with their troops of llamas, guanacos and vicuñas.
Overnight in Salta. (B, BXL)
- DAY 6 SALTA - DEPARTURE
Farewell transfer from the hotel to Salta airport. Hope you enjoyed this incredible region!